login   |    register
RailRoad Modeling
For general topics on RailRoad modeling.
HO scale Wheel Mask from cassette case
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Joined: March 05, 2004
KitMaker: 3,878 posts
6th Scale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2014 - 07:20 AM UTC
Build-a-tool 3 http://www.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Campaigns&file=index&req=showcontent&id=739
Build-a-tool 3 Campaign Thread http://www.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=219336&page=1

This is PHASE ONE

Prologue:

I call it Phase One because it is a failed attempt that I did a few years ago (2011) but didn't give up. I just needed to redesign the approach. I just want to share the progress and mistakes I made first so no one else will follow that path.

Act One:

this build log thread will be my attempt at making a Reusable Wheel Mask from an old cassette tape case that I have an abundance of here at the house

a Wheel Mask is a device that enables you to paint the wheel faces and axles without getting paint onto the 'tread' part of the wheels

here is a picture of a commercially available product
www.rgspemkt.com/WhlM-4.jpg


here you see a standard Maxell case on the bench


if you notice, the material thickness is perfect for this purpose in HO scale




I know I need some filler for the inside during drilling. I'll drill all the way through to make sure all the holes are lined up to accept the wheels


found some old cereal or oatmeal box card to cut up or junk mail can also be used





filler material is cut and stuffed into the case.






equal spots are measured out and marked onto the case. Then pilot holes are drilled into those spots with a 1/8" drill bit

-
-
-
-
-
The following may not be suitable for children or sensitive adults. If you cannot handle cold hard reality in model building, please turn away from the next 2 pictures

Major FAIL





I see what I did wrong and will include this solution in Phase Two of this wheel mask build . . .
thanks for looking





JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
#051
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Joined: December 21, 2002
KitMaker: 7,572 posts
6th Scale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2014 - 07:41 AM UTC
KoSprueOne,

Wow - clever! I look forward to your progress.
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Joined: March 05, 2004
KitMaker: 3,878 posts
6th Scale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2014 - 07:47 AM UTC
Thanks for looking in. Phase Two will be much more enjoyable




KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Joined: March 05, 2004
KitMaker: 3,878 posts
6th Scale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2014 - 08:41 AM UTC
PHASE TWO - The Solution

3.5 years later I'm finally getting back to this budget project. Re-purposing common household things so I don't have to $buy$ it.

I was measuring the diameter of wheels of various rolling stock in my yard.
Most of the Athern and Walthers are 25/64" (9.92 mm). While a new BLMA Trinity Reefer is 27/64" (10.72mm).
This is enough difference where one will not work with the other. Two wheel masks will have to be made here so I started with the 25/64 diameter mask because I have more of those. This is what this build thread will be about.


BLMA Trinity reefer


Athern and Walthers

This is where solving the previous error 3 years ago begins. I gathered some scrap wood from pallets behind my job site. Two for the outside and one cut and shaped to fit snugly inside.  







These parts were sandwiched together and held together flush on one side. A 1/8" pilot bit and a 25/64" bit were set aside and ready.








KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Joined: March 05, 2004
KitMaker: 3,878 posts
6th Scale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 - 07:47 AM UTC
PHASE Two continues . . .

This time I'm using a TDK case instead it might make a difference

For the 1/8" pilot holes, I just pushed down on the 'sandwich' with my hand and body weight. I was able to get those drilled but the 25/64" was getting squirly.
It's important at this point that I drill straight down through the layers as straight as possible. This way both wheels on each end of the axle would line up reasonably well. This doesn't have to be perfect but as straight as possible is good. If this step is done on on a drill press, that would be best



I had to clamp the sandwich in a vise to drill the larger 25/64 holes.



Firmly sandwiching wood between each layer of plastic was the solution to this. Success
Then I just needed to deburr each hole on both sides by gently twisting a 1/2" drill bit tip by hand








I still need to open up the end of the case a little to enable sprayed paint to reach the axles and inner surfaces of the wheels




KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Joined: March 05, 2004
KitMaker: 3,878 posts
6th Scale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2014 - 10:12 AM UTC
Opening the edge was simple enough to do with a razor saw for the ends and a straight blade scribed along the length.
It's still a rough cut but the following pictures illustrate this procedure to enable painting of the axles and inner wheel surfaces











thanks for looking





KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Joined: March 05, 2004
KitMaker: 3,878 posts
6th Scale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2014 - 05:38 AM UTC
The thickness of the TDK cassette case was thinner than I thought so I layered on masking tape for thickness. 3 layers thick brought the thickness to the face of the wheels.

The tape was then cut out of the round openings to accept the wheel faces.

The following pictures will illustrate the steps taken






th_









This step requires rotation of the axles to paint the other side


after spray painting is done, the wheels look alright


I cleaned up the contact surface of the wheels a little with a sanding stick