I have completed the tank's roof and Roof details. There was a lot of work that was done to this portion of the tank.
The tank's top roof was one flat plate with the holes for the hatches and other component mounting holes cut into it. On the real Jagdpanther the roof armored plate sticks over the side panels. Similar to what was done to the tank's engine deck I plated the entire roof with two layers of styrene. The styrene plate was cut with the exact same hatch holes, periscope slots, and sliding periscope slots as were on the tank. The plate is smaller that the tank's roof by 1/16th of an inch on all sides to allow for the armor recesses and to allow for the weld seams. The portion of the front glacis plate which intersects the roof also needed to be built up with sheet styrene, only a slope was added. Stock Metal Roof Completed
For the roof details I pretty much used all of the kit supplied resin components. These components were a good start for reworking.
The first was the front gunners Periscope mount. The Kit mount is made up of four resin components. The armored ring, the center portion, the flip hatch for the gunner's scope, and the secondary periscope guard.
A taper was added to the main ring, along with casting marks and cast numbers. The gunner's scope flip hatch was made functional and will hold the location for the receiver switch. The secondary periscope is my own casting and is from a scrap set of my Resin Puma hatches.
The Kit supplied resin small air filter was also altered. The top was reduced in size, a bevel was added. The four divots were machined into the top portion, and rough cast marks were added. The bottom portion has the correct footings so there was no need to alter the bottom portion. StockReworked http://eastcoastarmory.com/forumPic/jagdpanther/roof/DSC00058.JPG
The kit supplied Resin large main air filer comes in two solid pieces. The bottom portion and the top portion
The top portion was too thick and was too large and was not used. The bottom portion has six pegs for the air filter top. The pegs are in the right spots and have the right number, but the air filter top is not mounted on pegs, but several fins that surround a center hole. The hole was drilled into the center, and the fins were fabricated out of styrene. a new top was fabricated and the side mounting brackets were also scratch built.
The Resin kit supplied rear periscope comes as three pieces. The center, the Retaining ring, and the periscope guard
A bevel was added to the retaining ring, and the molded in bolt heads were removed and small reverse bolts were milled into the retaining ring. I was able to make the resin periscope center rotate.
The Kit supplied Resin smoke grenade discharger was reworked by removing the molded in bolt heads, and placing a styrene plate over the oval mortar hole. STOCKReworked
The Kit supplied Resin crane bosses were fine as is and were not altered in any way. They were added to the tank, but with weld seams added.
The Kit's AT swivel plate is laser cut and looks like the proper shape. The part also comes with a small resin slide plate.
The Resin slide plate was too small and was not used. New slide plates were scratch built. The kit also doesn't come with the AT scope. One will be added after the tank is painted. To install the part I soldered a brass rod to the bottom of the plate. The rod is bent in a hook so the AT scope will plug into position.
supplied Resin periscope guards are also nicely shaped and casted. They also have a nice rough cast texture to them and were also used as is.
The Kit supplied resin hatches come in six pieces. The two hatches and the hinge components. The hatches have a nice bevel to them, but have no interior detailing.
A scratch built interior was added, as were the fastener details on the hatch tops.
When installing the rear Commanders hatch I realized that the hatch was too close to the rear wall. The hole needed to be moved to the front by a about 1/2 an inch.
The new position of the hatch was marked in green. The black markings were the size of the hole that needed to be made.
Using a large drill mounted sanding drum I ground away the plastic and metal to cerate the new hole.
Once the hole was made I needed to replace the portion that was on the opposite end of the new hole. I used sheet styrene to fill in the gap and sanded the top to a smooth finish.
The Rain gutters were also added. These didn't come with the kit per say. The Kit does supply you with laser cut strips of steel that are used for the X crimping on the rear storage bins and front fenders. I will not need these strips for this purpose so they were spares and were a perfect size and thickness for the gutters.
Welds were also added to the MG ball and Driver's vision port
I'm now working on the tank's sheet metal fenders and tool posts. Once these are complete the tank's detailing is finished and the model will be ready for paint!